Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!

Where did the first week of the New Year get off to? Well there was a little shimmy down Southern Indiana way for a quiet New Year's Eve with two of my very dearest friends. We checked on streaming video of the pyramids in Egypt (midnight Indiana time=misty pre-dawn in Egypt), polished off a bottle of Asti and played a strange version of charades just the three of us until the wee hours. January first was Bloomington's monthly Axis of Evil Industrial/Goth Dance Party, heralding in the Year of the Rat, a night that involved so much hotness and such epic fun, it should have been illegal. Nom. Seriously, if you hail from the Bloomington area, keep your ears open. AoE happens every month at Jake's Nightclub and it's certainly my favorite thing about that town. Well, actually it has to be a tie between AoE and the Runcible Spoon. ::sigh, nostalgia:

After a few days more of post-graduation bumming around, I collected my belongings and winged it back West, just in time for the Bay Area rainstorm of the decade. I think everyone's electricity has been restored as of late last night. Yeesh. Though I did find it amusing that Oakland's power was only out for a couple of hours while Marin's was out for 4 days. I suppose that's what happens when the wealthy make their domain absolutely inaccessible. Heh.

With that, I am finally home again, but in a new part of town that's taking a little time adjusting to. The streets are all wonky and traffic is particularly awful. You better believe I'll be relying heavily on public transit. I claim it's because mass transit is better for the environment, but really, riding in cars around here is simply terrifying. And I like the wooooooooosh of the BART train.

So, that's my incredibly long-winded excuse for being MIA for a week. The holidays are behind us, the new year has more than begun, in a very wet and tumultuous manner. With floods, the Gulf of Tonkin...errr...Persian Gulf incident, and the New Hampshire double-debates (did anyone else get that sickening, end-is-near, pit in the stomach while watching that freak show?) 2008 has certainly made its presence known. War with Iran? The first non-rich white guy presidency? Will cataclysmic mud slides slough California off into the ocean? Stay tuned for more!

Sidenote: My favorite column of the New Year has been this little gem by Julie Burchill for The Guardian. She is brilliant in every respect. I don't normally make New Year's resolutions, but this year, I have resolved to take every word of that column to heart. I have already been putting it into practice and, quite frankly, it is delicious. All hail the return of the glamorous cunt!


1 comment:

Bats for Blogs said...

I'm glad to see you are alive and broadcasting. If I haven't said so a million times before, you made New Years wonderful.
I want to keep reading stuff off this blog.