Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Never Thought It Would Happen ("My Favorite Things" Edition)

-A liberal realist president
-A black president
-An articulate president
-A president with an intelligent sense of humor
-A strong, inviting First Lady
-The end of Bush's reign of terror
-A return to a focus on service and social equality
-The opening of honest conversations on race and racism
-The hope of peace
-The death knell of Neo-Conservatism
-A brighter outlook for my little brother, my nephew, and my future kids

These are a few of my favorite things!

I am so inspired today to make positive changes in my own life to live up to the standards our new president has set in the realm of dignity, honor, courage and tenacity. The success of his struggle and the outcome of his hard work and humility make me want to be a better person and work even harder to make my corner of the world better. We all need to acknowledge our responsibility to lift each other up and ensure that every person no matter their age, race, gender, nationality, or socioeconomic class has the same opportunities to life, health and education. And now, we might just have an administration who will back us up in those goals.

Good morning, friends. Open your eyes to a new, beautiful day for America and the possibilities therein.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

"We all need to acknowledge our responsibility to lift each other up" This is my favorite line from your entry. Nothing will change because of one man if no one else is willing to do their part. I think this man just might be the catalyst for that feeling of responsibility that we've been needing. I may not agree with everything he stands for but hopefully the good will out way the not as good! Keep writing, I sure like to read it!

Professor Danger said...

I was particularly encouraged by his use of the word 'curiosity'. I mean honestly, when was the last time we had politicians who were eager to find out what was going on in the world, rather than legislate their assumptions.